Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blessings...

One of the fun things about digging through old boxes in the basement is that we occasionally come across something worth keeping, like really, really old books.

The book in this photo is an edition of Ivanhoe published in 1888. I believe I got it from my grandmother.

You probably can't read the writing on the front cover. It's a quote by Thomas Carlyle which says "May blessings be upon the head of Cadmus, the Phoenicians, or whoever it was that invented books."

Here's a closeup:
Blessings indeed!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Very cool! I remember bringing a box of old books back from grama's house for you....is this from that box?

Unknown said...

Good question - I'm not really sure. I had a collection of books she gave me a long time ago, and this might be one of those... but it might have come through my favorite cousin twin too. :)