Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hacking My Brain

For Christmas this year, I got a little "Sound and Light Machine" kit, some assembly required. In fact, some soldering required - too fun!

I hadn't soldered anything since college, and fortunately my little brother got a soldering iron for Christmas (interestingly, that was from me - little did I know when I bought it that I'd have a chance to use it myself!). 

Anyway, I've started putting the circuit board together - some photos below. Since I don't have a soldering iron, I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to finish it. I'm sure some of my geeky friends can hook me up. 


When it's all done, it'll be a set of goggles and headphones that is supposed to "hack my brain," make me see pretty images and even help me meditate. We'll see...

I love Christmas presents that you get to put together, particularly if there's heat and electricity involved. I'll keep you posted on the progress, and once it's done, I'll let you know how the SLM brain hacking goes!

1 comment:

Mark said...

And I love the soldering iron! I've been hacking away in the basement a bit, and have managed so far to break my guitar pedal which was previously working fine. The bright spot is now I am finally motivated to order some replacement components to try a few mods I have been thinking about.

If I had known you were getting me the new iron, I could have brought my little radio shack one to give to you. Ah, well - you can always pick up a basic one for 10 bucks. It should get you through this Mind Altering kit no problem.

And for now, you can still wear the glasses by themselves, right? (We need a picture)