Thursday, March 12, 2009

POW!

I'm continuing to devour Andy Nulman's latest book, titled Pow! Right Between The Eyes! It's quite an experience, and I highly recommend picking up a copy. For more details and reasons,  here's the review I wrote on Amazon:

Little is what it seems to be in Andy Nulman's latest book - he doesn't just write about surprise, he actually Surprises! This is no mean feat, considering that most readers EXPECT a book about surprise to Surprise... but he pulls it off. 

POW! Right Between The Eyes! is a fascinating, entertaining and thoroughly engaging riff on the power and importance (indeed, the centrality) of Surprise in today's market. I physically couldn't read it fast enough, and kept jumping ahead to see what was around the corner, then doubling back to catch what I'd missed. I'm sure Mr. Nulman would approve of this approach to reading his book. 

If you don't enjoy this book, you probably didn't read it close enough. It's chock full of easter eggs (hint: follow me to...), mindwarping artwork in unexpected places, and stories that will have you laughing and thinking at the same time. 

Andy Nulman is really on to something - he didn't invent Surprise, but I am convinced he understands it and communicates it better than anyone else. 

Buy his book or, as John Cleese points out in the foreward, you will die.

No comments: