Thursday, April 17, 2008

Too Much! Too Much!

Oh, there's so much to blog about, I'm missing and dropping things all over the place.

For starters, the latest issue of Defense AT&L also features a fantastic article by my good friend Gabe Mounce, titled Diversity & Freaks. I should have mentioned it two posts ago, and could also have pointed out there's a little discussion on the Letters To The Editor page that you might enjoy.

And I just finished reading a hilarious juvie-fiction book titled Whales on Stilts. Holy cow it was funny - I really should do a whole post just about it, but for now let me just recommend it as a quick read, a fun read, and a laugh-out-loud funny read.

I've also started reading a cyberpunk novel titled Accelerando, by Charles Stross. I think it's going to explode my brain.

My gardening experiment is a big bust so far - the zucchinis and cucumbers I moved outside all died. The new round of seeds I planted directly outside a few weeks back haven't done anything (but I'm still hopeful!). And now my raspberry bushes are looking like they're going to die too - well, five out of six, anyway. But boy, those weeds are sure doing well.

And the book projects, and classes, and construction projects - whew! And the cool thing is, I'm really enjoying it all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Bummer about your gardening experiment. Don't give up though! Maybe try a new round started inside. They should take pretty fast in this weather. I've not had luck starting seeds outside, only inside in peat pots that can be planted directly outside. Did you fertilize enough/too much? Mixing compost in with the soil usually does the trick nicely. Good luck!
Kimmer

Gabe said...

Thanks for the mention.

You know what's weird about weeds? Those stinking things grow anywhere....even in the middle of 100+ degree heat on a barren lanscape that is Las Vegas. My "lawn" is basically a xeriscape with mainly rocks. It's a rock lawn. And underneath the earth that supports all those rocks is.....more rocks....very huge, gigantic boulders. We had to replant a tree one time and I had to use a sledge hammer and pick to break up the boulders just to get a hole big enough to plant the tree. But those stupid weeds, they don't mind. They grow right on top of the rocks. And I'm talking about that super green mustard weed kind of a thing! And in a weeks time, they're taller than me! What gives? Why do weeds grow so well?