Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sky-kinz

My girls recently discovered the online world of Webkinz - right around the time I accidentally dumped a cup of coffee on my laptop. So, we're a "one computer family" and we've got four people who want to use it. Sigh.

I have to admit it is kind of fun to spin the "Wheel of Wow" (or as we call it, the Wheel of Mom, 'cause it goes upside down and spells mom...). And it's fun to see them using the mouse and keyboard to play games, feed their animals, go shopping, and even get a job.

But for the Terminator fans out there, I don't think we need to worry about Skynet. No, if the machines rise up and take over the world, they'll do so in the form of little fuzzy stuffed animals and their digital doppelgangers. No doubt, the end result will be the same.

And holy cow, I just realized I may have inadvertently created Sky-kinz, by dumping that coffee on my laptop, just like the main human character in the 1984 movie Electric Dreams, who woke up his computer by spilling champagne on it! Oh no! Sky-kinz is already here!

No comments: