Monday, August 18, 2008

It's All Been Done

Michael Phelps is all over the news, as America (and much of the rest of the world) indulges in our every-four-years love affair with swimming & running. But it hit me the other day that this isn't his first set of races, is it?

The talented Mr. Phelps has been racing, competing, and winning for quite some time now. But nobody really paid any attention until the Olympics. Now, suddenly, people get excited about swimming (and track & field, this week). It's weird.

Given the opportunity, I have to wonder if anyone would watch a race (aquatic or track-based) next week? Sure, I understand the Olympics are special, but gosh, given the level of excitement and enthusiasm about his performances, I'd sort of expect that we'd muster up at least a little interest to watch the guy swim at some point over the next four years. But we probably won't.

Like I said -that's kind of weird, isn't it?

No comments: