Friday, August 29, 2008

American Samoa

I watched some of the Democratic Convention the other day - I always get a kick out of the roll call vote, where representatives from "The Great State of (insert name here)" casts their votes. I always learn interesting bits of trivia. For example, did you know that Minnesota consistently has the highest per capita voter turnout of any state? Now you do.

But the coolest one was American Samoa, which cast their "precious nine votes" in an enthusiastic, bilingual pronouncement. I loved seeing these guys do this democracy thing, even if it's only casting 9 votes (for contrast, Massachusetts has 121). I was only vaguely aware that places like American Samoa even exist, let alone that they get to send delegates to the party conventions to cast precious votes.

Precious votes indeed. God bless America.

No comments: