Friday, September 26, 2008

Charordic Age

Dee Hock, the founder of VISA International, wrote a fascinating book titled The Birth of the Chaordic Age. A particular scene from his book sticks in my mind as I see giants from the US financial sector crash and burn:

He observes"... organizations increasingly unable to achieve the purpose for which they were created, yet continuing to expand as they devour scarce recources, demean the human spirit and destroy the environment... Schools that can't teach... corporations that can neither cooperate nor compete, only consolidate, unhealthy health-care systems... economies that can't economize..."

Interesting stuff... and a book I highly recommend!

1 comment:

Passante said...

Hiya Dan,

Totally off the point of your post, but I just looked at your DanWardOnline link. Whaddya mean we almost didn't publish "Punk Rock"? I don't remember ever being in doubt about publishing it, though I do remember asking you to tone down one thing that would've had me strung up by my thumbs by our big bosses if I'd printed it!