Friday, September 19, 2008

Politics Part 4: Power To The People

I'm a big fan of term limits, because I think the idea of "government by the people" is an important principle for democracy. Career politicians have their place, I'm sure, but there's nothing like bringing in an actual human being, an ordinary citizen, into the halls of power. Anyone, no matter how idealistic or maverick-ish, can get twisted and warped if they spend too much time in a place like DC, so I think we need to bring in fresh eyes, new perspectives, on a regular basis

Hollywood loves to tell stories like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (great movie!), and I think those stories resonate with audiences for a reason - there is truth in them. 

So, I don't mind a candidate who doesn't have much experience. And I'm skeptical of any candidate with too much experience. I like the idea of a small-town mayor or local community organizer going to the White House. I'm less excited about seeing a Senator or Congressman make the same journey. I like candidates who can demonstrate they are well educated on issues, and are thoughtful and reflective. I like candidates who can speak clearly and insightfully, and not get all wrapped around the axle of nuance. I distrust candidates who won't talk to the press or only speak with carefully selected, friendly audiences.

I would like to see a top-of-the-ticket candidate who has actually been in charge of things, who has made executive decisions, met a payroll, and things like that. Neither side is really offering that. Yes, Gov. Palin has executive experience, so that's a plus, and John McCain led a Navy training squadron, which is certainly something. So, on this particular type of executive experience, McCain/Palin seems to be in the lead. But then again, he's been in the Senate for an awfully long time... and Obama has that whole new-guy vibe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; & if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion." : Thomas Jefferson, 1820

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan: "...Beware of political parties; any and all political parties; they will be the demise of democracy and the stability of our new nation....": George Washington (in his farewll address to the nation after serving two terms as President).... Dad