Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas & Consumerism

Well, it's that time of year again, when well-meaning people of faith roll out their annual complaints about the commercialization of Christmas. They're not wrong, for the most part, but I think they tend to overlook one important aspect of this whole thing.

The cool thing about the consumerism of Christmas is we also get the Christmas-ification of the Consumer Cathedral (aka The Mall).

Personally, I find it amazing that, for one month out of the year, I can go to the mall and consistently hear the Gospel proclaimed, in song, over the loudspeakers. I'm not saying that's entirely right - just that it's a little bit amazing.

Sure, they play Frosty and Rudolph, but it's not unusual to hear Christmas songs with lyrics about Jesus' mission to "save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray." At the mall. Over the loudspeakers. I think that's really something.

I hardly ever see the reverse happen - people from the mall almost never come to my church and spend a month singing their advertisements. THAT would be something to complain about.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

I totally agree. It always seems we hear sermons that turn from encouraging during the rest of the year to sermons that are chastising during Christmas. I find it disheartening that many believers try to seperate culture from the Christmas by overemphasizing the religious aspects. I don't witness this at Thanksgiving, so I wonder why it's okay to celebrate the cultural aspects of Thanksgiving, but not Christmas?