Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas...

The other day I heard the song "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" on the radio. When the singer got the line "...and Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again," I burst out laughing.

My first thought was "What a funny line!"

My second thought was "How have I never noticed that line before?"

Seriously, has that line always been in that song? 'Cause I don't remember EVER hearing it before. It caught me off guard so much that it actually made me laugh. How I managed to make it through 35 Christmases without hearing that line is a mystery beyond my comprehension.

(and it is a pretty funny sentiment for a Christmas song, when you stop to think about it)

7 comments:

Deb said...

I don't remember it either, I'll have to give a listen!

Eileen said...

I don't recall those words either? Funny!

Kim said...

Strange - I noticed the exact same thing two days ago!

Mark said...

I've noticed it before, and never really liked it - pretty anti-Christmas if you ask me.

Unknown said...

Yeah, good point, Mark. Jenna was kind of offended by it. She asked, in a worried tone, "Is that true? Can Mom and Dad really not wait for school to start again?"

Poor kid.

The other interesting thing - in the song, school is already out, and it's just "beginning" to look like Christmas. Apparently, the Christmas season didn't always start in October, like it does now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan: Just 'discovered' that line???? Kim's Dad and I know that song very well and we've been singing that song in B'b'shop for years.... I knew that line from that song from many, many, years ago, but never said anything about it, or felt it was true... it's supposed to be 'funny' & imply that school kids are driving Mom & Dad crzy at home.... I never felt that way but knew a lot of parents that did feel that way.....oh well.... Dad

Eileen said...

yeah, I always felt a little sad when vacation time was over and you kids went back to school. I loved having you home!