Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Earth Friendly / Tone Deaf

Walking through a bookstore the other day, I came across a calendar with a big green "Earth Friendly" sticker slapped on it. It proclaimed that the calendar was made from recycled paper and soy-based ink.  I whipped out my handy-dandy fuzzy camera phone to take this photo, just for you:


The reason I took the photo is not because earth friendly printing options are so snazzy, new or surprising. No, I took the photo because the calendar was all about combat jets, as the photo below shows. The printing may be "Earth Friendly," but that's not the term I'd use to describe the subject.

The fact that I really dislike the F-22 (which is pictured on the front of the calendar) has nothing to do with my reaction. OK, maybe a little something to do with it. But even if it was a more respectable fighter on the front cover, I'd still think it's a strange choice of wording for that little green sticker.


Next time, maybe they should go with "100% Recycled Paper" sticker instead.

1 comment:

Andrew G. Duncan said...

After I leave this comment I am stealing this picture from your blog, purely for hilarity's sake. This is one of those things that I would buy to hang on my wall as is. I have no love or hate of jets in particular, but lets face it, fighter jets = earth friendly?

beautiful!